The boss of the Australian Formula One Grand Prix has threatened to take legal action because he says Sunday’s race
“wasn’t loud enough”.
The Formula One rule makers (FIA) have introduced new regulations this year aimed at making the sport more environmentally friendly, with all cars now fitted with new turbocharged 1.6-litre V6 engine.
As I have personally mentioned in my pervious post the sound of the Formula 1 engine is very quiet and most spectators around me could not believe their disbelief.
Australian Grand Prix chief executive Andrew Westacott believes Melbourne has been short-changed and says the sport’s governing body may be guilty of a breach of contract.
“What was lacking was the sexiness and the appeal of the noise,” Westacott told Melbourne radio station 3AW.
“I was able to stand on pit wall at the start of the race without ear plugs,” he said.
“Previously, it shakes the bones.”
Westacott said Australian Grand Prix Corporation chairman Ron Walker had already spoken to F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone about the frustrations.
“I’d be confident we’ll have a different sound next year,” he said.
The lack of noise was one of the major talking points to come out of Albert Park this weekend.
Fairfax motorsport writer Mark Fogarty was scathing in his assessment, claiming
“the sound of the cars was dreadful, the racing was somnolent and the spectacle completely underwhelming
You can not blame the teams for the lack of noise as they are only following rules, The FIA should be reconsidering the RPM levels or other means of brining the noise level up before they do considerable damage to the sport.